The learning continues…for all of us!
Dear Cristo Rey Family,
The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted our lives in ways that seemed unimaginable a few weeks ago, yet we continue along with courage, ingenuity, and a fair amount of humor and humility.
We have completed three weeks of online learning, virtual office hours, and staff and faculty members meeting via Zoom or other platforms. Everyone is learning new technology, as well as new ways to connect. Our Principals report that we are experiencing high levels of attendance and engagement by students. Mr. Zac Deibel, our AP Government instructor, shared that “we had an incredibly productive, meaningful, hour-long session today. It became almost indistinguishable from a live class: students taking turns answering questions, letting others speak, being respectful and patient of everyone else as they worked through questions or concepts.”
Cristo Rey students have also found new ways to work. Some of our work-study partners have included our students in their “work from home” models, including:
- Designing electronic binders; organizing and compiling e-handbooks (energy company)
- Reviewing online educational resources and offering comments on content and user-design from target audience (youth) perspective (government agency)
- Researching and writing project proposals, including gallery connector-space ideas for current museum exhibits (arts & culture organization)
- Writing articles or blog posts on intern experience (financial firm)
- Writing up isolation protocol for lab procedures for future employees (engineering lab)
- Conducting literature review on pertinent topics for next virtual team meeting (university administration)
This has been an excellent opportunity to see how our students adapt to remote work and align themselves to jobs of the future!
We know that Cristo Rey Columbus is important to you, and that you are keeping us in your prayers and your thoughts. Please know that you are just as important to us, and we hold you and your families in our hearts and prayers.
We hope you had a Happy Easter!
Take Care and God Bless,
President Jim Foley
No April Fools here!
100% of the Class of 2020 has been accepted to at least one college or university!
Collectively, the class has earned:
• 546 acceptances (and counting), at a total of
• 154 institutions (and counting), offering a total of
• $8.92 million (and counting) in merit scholarships over four years!!!
Highlights include Lady Elizabeth’s acceptance to Georgetown University, and Erica’s acceptance to Notre Dame University!
We’ve got spirit, yes we do!
Student Council is actively working via the Zoom online meeting platform to host virtual town halls for students, in which they discuss school spirit and other ways to boost morale. The Student Council members have pledged tutoring support or assistance navigating the new virtual world. Their next launch will be virtual lunches and game challenges for their classmates. Pictured below, L-R: Kiara, ’20, Secretary, Regina, ’20, Vice-President, Daizy, ’20, President, and Kevin, ’20, Treasurer.